top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Legal Fees

How do you bill for your legal services?

At Harty Jewell, most of our cases are taken on a contingency fee basis. However, for appeals, estate planning and estate litigation, and some consumer protection cases, we may charge either an hourly fee or a flat fee depending on the type of case and its complexity.

Statutes  of Limitations

How long do I have to file a lawsuit?

Generally speaking, in Virginia you typically have two years from the date of injury to file a personal injury lawsuit. Other types of lawsuits may have longer or shorter times depending on the type of case, and actions that arise in other states may also have shorter or longer limitations periods.

Experienced trial attorneys

How much experience do you have?

Erin Jewell and Will Harty have forty years of combined legal and litigation experience, and have guided hundreds of clients through the judicial system.

Case Value

How much is my claim worth?

This is a very difficult question to answer without a very detailed review of the facts of your case.

Free initial consultation

What do I have to pay for the initial consultation?

At Harty Jewell, initial consultations are free.

Service area

What geographic areas do we serve?

Harty Jewell offers an extensive range of legal services for clients throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia, but we primarily practice in Hampton Roads, Virginia.

Your optimal case solution

What is the typical legal process like?

Every case is different. At Harty Jewell, we do not apply cookie cutter solutions to real problems. We take the time to listen to your needs and formulate a tailored solution that best achieves your individual goals.

What should I bring

What should I bring to the initial consultation?

Bring your ID and any relevant documents and photos to your initial consultation with Harty Jewell

Virginia trial lawyers

What types of cases do you handle?

We are primarily trial lawyers who help people injured by asbestos, mold, and other toxic substances, defective products, careless drivers, and fraudulent business practices.

Wrongful death personal representative

Who can bring a case on behalf of a family member who died?

A court appointed personal representative generally is required to bring a lawsuit on behalf of a deceased family member.

Do I have to go to court

Will I have to go to court?

At Harty Jewell, we approach every litigation case as if it is going to go to trial, but the vast majority of cases in the United States end up settling before trial. We will keep you informed every step of the way and, if you do have to go to trial, you will be well prepared.

Harty Jewell will come to you

Will you come to us or meet us remotely?

Harty Jewell offers a wide range of options for meeting in person or remotely to fit your needs.

bottom of page